Monday 7 July 2014

After release, Sudan�s Meriam Ibrahim speaks out

0 Comments
Pravmir � July 4, 2014

Mariam Yehya Ibrahim, the Sudanese woman previously sentenced to death for apostasy, spoke up for the first time, sharing her fears for the health of a daughter born in extreme conditions in prison, and her concerns over an unknown future for her family.

�I gave birth chained. Not cuffs but chains on my legs. I couldn�t open my legs so the women had to lift me off the table. I wasn�t attached to the table,� Ibrahim told CNN in a telephone call.
Doctors feared that the delivery circumstances could have permanent consequences on the newborn.

�I don�t know in the future whether she�ll need support to walk or not,� Ibrahim added.

Ibrahim, who married a Christian South-Sudanese-American, was recently spared a death sentence for converting to Christianity. Only a day later, the 27-year-old and her family were arrested at Khartoum airport, while trying to leave the country with her family.

Ibrahim was detained because of using travel documents issued in South Sudan�s embassy.

In response to her new charges, Ibrahim insists that her travel documents are legit.

�How can my paperwork be wrong? My paperwork came from the embassy. It�s 100% correct and it was approved by the South Sudan ambassador and the American ambassador,� she said.

Ibrahim and her family were freed again on Thursday, Ibrahim�s lawyer told The Associated Press.

Since the release, her husband and children had all been staying at the U.S. embassy in Khartoum � granted on the condition that Ibrahim stays in Sudan.

The new mom�s location is not disclosed. �I�m currently in a safe place. It�s definitely safe but not comfortable,� Ibrahim told CNN.

Sudanese authorities faced huge international pressure over Ibrahim�s case. Last May, Washington and London summoned the Sudanese charge d�affaires, in protest against Ibrahim�s death sentence.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
back to top